Transportation & Parking
Contact: Vail Transit, 970-479-2178
The Town of Vail Transit Department provides free year-round bus service throughout Vail. In fact, the town's bus service is considered to be the largest free transportation system in the country offering its residents and guests timely service to and from Vail Mountain and throughout town.
Vail also provides real-time arrival information to passengers within the Vail Village, LionsHead and Golden Peak corridor. The real-time information is provided by NextBus Information Systems, which uses Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) technology to track buses while en route and then transmits the information to the Internet and digital bus signs. Vail is one of the only ski towns in North America to offer its passengers this technology.
Additionally, regional bus service with modest fares is provided daily by ECO Transit with service to Vail, Leadville, Minturn, Eagle-Vail, Avon, Edwards, Eagle and Gypsum.
Enjoy free parking in Vail Village and Lionshead garages beginning April 15 and continuing until next ski season.
The daily rates for close-in structured parking in Vail Village and Lionshead are:
- 0 to 2 hours- free
- 2 to 3 hours- $15
- 3 to 4 hours- $20
- 4 to 24 hours- $25 All day cap
- Arrive after 3 p.m. for free parking in both structures until 3 a.m.*
* Arrivals from 1 p.m. until 3:00 p.m. will be charged $15.00
Rates for short-term parking are:
- 0 to 2 hours - free
- 2 hour maximum parking. $50 fine for exceeding 2 hours
- Arrive after 3 p.m. for free parking until 3 a.m.
Season parking passes will be ready for purchase beginning at 8 a.m. Monday, Nov. 5 on the lower level of the Municipal Building, 75 S. Frontage Rd. There are five discount pass types available, plus an incremental rate structure for value cards. The town’s parking pass sales office will be open from 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday throughout the season.
Paid parking begins at 6 a.m. Nov. 16 in the Vail Village and Lionshead parking structures. Also on Nov.16, satellite lots at Ford Park and the soccer field east of Golden Peak will become permit parking for employees.
2012-13 Season Parking Passes
- Pink Pass, $150. For employees of eligible Vail business license holders, good for parking at gated lots at Ford Park and soccer field, 6 a.m. to 2 a.m. daily. Available to Vail Village or Lionshead-based Vail business license holders’ employees working a minimum of 30 hours per week. Proof of employment is required. Parking spaces are serviced by the existing transportation system. Note: This pass is no longer honored on the North Frontage Road at Middle Creek as public parking has since been removed from that location.
- Green Pass, $500. For employees of eligible Vail business license holders, good for parking in the Lionshead structure Monday through Thursday with the exception of the restricted days of Dec. 24-Jan.1; Jan. 21 and Feb. 18. Also good for access to Ford Park and soccer field lots from 6 a.m. to 2 a.m. daily. Available to Vail Village or Lionshead-based Vail business license holders’ employees working a minimum of 30 hours per week. Proof of employment is required.
- Blue Pass, $1,100. For Vail property owners, residents and employees of qualifying Vail business license holders, good for parking in the two structures with restrictions. Good 7 days a week at Lionshead structure and Monday through Thursday at Vail Village structure with the exception of the restricted days of Dec. 24-Jan. 1; Jan. 21 and Feb. 18. Available to Vail Village or Lionshead-based Vail business license holders’ employees working a minimum of 30 hours per week. Proof of employment is required. Proof of residency or proof of property ownership is needed for residents or property owners.
- Silver Pass, $1,800. Available to qualifying business license holders in Vail Village and Lionshead with guaranteed parking in one structure. Limit one pass per business. This pass must be purchased using the credit card or checking account of the business.
- Gold Pass, $3,250. For guaranteed parking in the two structures. No eligibility requirements.
- Vanpool Pass. Any employee vanpool (vans with seven or more passengers) registered with the town can get either a $150 Pink Pass or receive discounted guaranteed space. Call 479-2349 for details.
2012-13 Vail Value Card
Sunday-Thursday (non peak) Friday & Saturday, plus holidays (peak)
2 to 3 hrs., $7.50 2 to 3 hrs., $12
3 to 4 hrs., $10 3 to 4 hrs., $16
4+ hrs., $12.50 4+ hrs., $20
Good for employees of qualifying Vail business license holders working a minimum of 30 hours per week, Vail residents and Vail property owners.
Eagle County Value Card
Sunday-Thursday (non peak) Friday & Saturday, plus holidays (peak)
2 to 3 hrs., $9 2 to 3 hrs., $13.20
3 to 4 hrs., $12 3 to 4 hrs., $17.60
4+ hrs., $15 4+ hrs., $22
Good for employees of qualifying Eagle County businesses, residents and property owners.
Previous value card holders are required to recertify their cards for the new season by stopping by the parking sales office in the Vail Municipal Building to show proof of employment, residency or property ownership.
In addition to the discounted parking pass and value card options, the town will continue to provide free entry after 3 p.m. in the two parking structures. Also, parking will be free for the first two hours in the garages upon entry at any time.
Hourly drive-up rates will be $15 for 2 to 3 hours; $20 for 3 to 4 hours; and a $25 all day cap for 4 to 24 hours. There will also be a $25 charge for RVs and other over-size vehicles using the Charter Bus Lot east of the Lionshead parking structure. Charter bus parking will remain free.
As an additional option, the town will offer free parking in satellite areas serviced by the town’s free transit system. The inventory includes the following locations available seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.: Gore Creek Trailhead, East Vail Interchange Trailhead, Pitkin Creek Trailhead, Booth Falls Trailhead, Spraddle Creek Trailhead, Red Sandstone Creek Trailhead, Buffehr Creek Trailhead, Davos Trailhead and Red Sandstone Park. Parking availability is limited and some spaces are restricted to three-hour trailhead use.
Free parking will also be available at Donovan Park with 90 spaces on days when the pavilion isn’t in use. A sign will be used at the park’s entrance to indicate availability each day. In addition, 35 free skier parking spaces will be offered at the Vail Nordic Center at the golf course Monday through Thursday. The lot will be closed to skier parking Friday through Sunday throughout the season as well as Dec. 24-Jan. 1; Jan. 21 and Feb. 18. Parking availability for both locations will be updated regularly on www.vaileventparking.com.
In addition, first-come, first-served free skier parking, 70 spaces, will be available on the North Frontage Road across from the West Vail Mall seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Additional free skier parking, 100 spaces, will be available on the North Frontage Road west of the West Vail roundabout on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Free emergency parking along the South Frontage Road will again be activated in overflow parking situations this season. Six temporary bus stops will be in use along the Frontage Road for added convenience. New this year will be wider, paved shoulders along the South Frontage Road from the Vail Municipal Building to the Vail Resorts maintenance shop to improve safety and the guest experience.
Vail Village: The height of the Vail Village parking structure entrance is 7’4”. Vehicles that are 7’4” or higher can park on the 4th level of the Vail Village parking structure or on the top level of the Lionshead parking structure. No overnight parking. Vehicles cannot exceed 19 feet in length.
Lionshead: The height of the Lionshead parking structure entrance is 7’. Vehicles that are 7’ or higher can park on the top level of the Lionhead parking structure or on the 4th level of the Vail Village parking structure. No overnight parking. Vehicles cannot exceed 19 feet in length.
RVs and other over-size vehicles that do not fit in the parking structures can park in the Charter Bus Lot east of the Lionshead parking structure. There is a $25 charge for RVs and other oversize vehicles using this lot. Charter bus parking will is free.
Visit the town’s website at vailgov.com or call the parking hotline at 479-2104 for additional updates.